Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Risotto, Rainforest & Rainfall


Imagine 9.08" of rain in one day! Now imagine sitting on a hardwood balcony overlooking a stunningly beautiful emerald green valley, surrounded by green tree frogs and sipping on a glass of chilled champagne and eating the best prawn risotto in my life.......you may think I am staying at some swanky resort in Cairns.


NO! Actually we are the guests of Pedro and Marg O'Connor of Epic Private Journeys. There home is nestled in the foothills of the Atherton Tableland in a little town called East Palmerston and I am in love! I awoke to the sounds of Australian birds today, rainbow lorikeets, butcher birds, whip birds, Olive Oriole and the sound of tropical rain through glass shutters.


We arrived last night from Sydney, after my flight from LAX on Qantas, which I must say was very enjoyable. I actually slept for 8 hours and arrived very refreshed into Sydney where I met up with Dee Mills, a long time friend who now works with Toga in Sydney. Dee kindly picked up my extra bag for storage, had a coffee with me, helped me get my new $69.00 Aussie Phone organized (you can purchase a phone as soon as you come through into the arrival hall) and dropped me at the Qantas domestic terminal to join my Cairns Flight, rather simple really.


From Sydney we arrived into Cairns via Qantas and picked up our little rental vehicle (imagine Mr. Been's car in white) and headed off on our adventure to pick up our Papua New Guinea Kina from the local Travelex office and then to head south on the Bruce Highway to Pedro and Marg's home. By now it was dusk and the sugar cane fields and banana plantations formed a long green tunnel out of town. We also hit torrential rains that slowed our progress down to a crawl at times but that is to be expected in Northern Queensland.
Today, Thursday morning April 9th, we will head back after a cuppa (cup of tea) and tropical fruit salad to Cairns to join Orion's charter flight to Rabaul.
Can you say EXCITED!

No comments:

Post a Comment